Your smile is one of the first things someone notices about you. But if you’re self-conscious because you’re missing teeth, you may actually start to avoid social settings.
Thankfully, it’s possible to restore your smile with implants. Dental implants look, function and even feel your own natural teeth.
What are Implants?
Implants are metal posts that surgically inserted into a person’s jawbone underneath the gums. Once they are set in place, the implants allow the dentist to place man-made teeth onto them. For people tooth replacement to be able to chew normally.
How do they work?
Since the implants eventually fuse to the jawbone, they give the necessary support for the artificial teeth. Bridges and dentures that are mounted to implants won’t slip or move around in your mouth as dentures do. For people in need of tooth replacement, this is especially beneficial when it comes to speaking and eating.
In order to receive implants, a patient must have healthy gums and bones to support them. Furthermore, patients must take responsibility and commit to making sure that structures remain healthy. Performing proper oral hygiene and going to the dentist regularly is essential to the success of implants.
What are the types of implants?
Dental implants in Fort McMurray come in various shapes, sizes, heights, and types. Once you’ve had a consultation, your dentist will determine the best course of action.
Here are the two main types of implants:
- Endosteal – These implants are the most common. They are generally made out of titanium and are shaped like screws.
- Subperiosteal – Subperiosteal implants work a bit differently than endosteal. Like the endosteal implants, subperiosteal are placed under the gums. However, they are placed above the jawbone. This is an option is for patients who do not have a healthy jawbone and are unwilling to go under a bone augmentation.
What are the benefits?
Unlike other dental restorative procedures in Fort McMurray, implants function like your own teeth. They are permanent and do not need to be removed for cleaning.
For adults who are missing teeth due to injury, infection or tooth decay, dental implants are a viable solution. In fact, implants are also a smart choice for teens between the ages of 16 and 18 once facial development is complete.
Here are a few other benefits that come with implants:
- Improved appearance as implants look and will feel like your own teeth
- Implants are permanent and last a lifetime.
- No need to remove for eating or cleaning.
- Implants are extremely durable and can look and function like your own teeth.
If you’re considering dental restoration, we’re here to help. Contact us today for more information about implants and they can benefit you.